Over the years, Studio West Bronze Foundry & Art Gallery has created well over 100 monuments, which can be seen in public spaces, museums, airports, and galleries throughout North America. Through their lost-wax bronze castings, world-renowned sculptors Don Begg and Shirley Stephens-Begg have commemorated some of Canada’s most significant events, military and historical figures.
Don and Shirley are involved in every step, from researching the topic and involving community input, to the designing, enlarging, lost-wax bronze casting, delivery, and on-site installation. Each monument can range from life size to 17' in height. The process can take anywhere from six months to a year to complete. Our 16,000-square foot studios welcome visitors to see how the sculptures are created – from original clay to finished cast bronze.
For additional information about our monument services, please call Studio West today!
Where to See Our Monuments
The three prairie legislatures: Alberta, Saskatchewan & Manitoba
Edmonton, Alberta – “Perseverance”
This captures an important moment in Canadian history: Lord Strathcona (Donald Alexander Smith), founder of the Lord Strathcona’s Horse Regiment, driving the last spike of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
10800 97 Avenue NW
Winnipeg, Manitoba – “Drafting the Petition”
This is a larger-than-life-size statue honouring Nellie McClung. This was a collaborative work with Winnipeg artist, Helen Granger Young. The statue depicts Nellie McClung circa 1929, as member of the “famous five” who were responsible for making women “persons” under the law.
West Lawn, Winnipeg Legislature
Osborne Street North
Calgary, Alberta – “Sitting Eagle” (John Hunter – Irhe Wapta)
Listed as one of the top things to see in Calgary by TripAdvisor®, “Sitting Eagle” stands 18' tall at the corner of 6th Street and 7th Avenue in downtown Calgary. This statue of a respected Stoney leader with full ceremonial headdress has become a landmark in the City of Calgary.
Corner of 7th Avenue & 6th Street Southwest
Mayerthorpe, Alberta – “The Fallen Four Memorial”
This memorial honours the lives of the RCMP officers killed in the Mayerthorpe tragedy and recognizes the risks all police officers face in service to their community.
Four larger-than-life-size bronze statues of the RCMP officers stand in the four positions of readiness around a 25' tall obelisk, the centerpiece of the Mayerthorpe Fallen Four Memorial Park. This is a place for reflection and gathering to pay tribute to all police officers.
Mayerthorpe Memorial Park
4602 52nd Street
Calgary, Alberta – “Colonel James A. Farquharson Macleod” Commissioner NWMP
Known for his work with the Blackfoot tribes, Colonel Macleod was cherished by both First Nations and those of European ancestry — a rarity in those times. Installed at Fort Calgary, this heroic scale equestrian statue is a fitting tribute to a man known for his patience, honesty, wisdom, and compassion.
750 9th Avenue Southeast
Ottawa, Ontario – “National RCMP Memorial”
A second bronze cast of the equestrian statue of Commissioner James A. Farquharson Macleod, renowned for bringing law and order to Western Canada, serves as a memorial to all RCMP officers who have given their lives in the line of duty. The memorial is situated outside the front gates to the RCMP National Headquarters so members of the public can pay their respects at any time.
73 Leiken Drive
Barrhaven, Ottawa, ON
Calgary, Alberta – “Nuns and Nightingales"
In 1891, four nuns from the Sisters of Charity of Montreal established Holy Cross Hospital (Holy Cross Centre) with only $73.75. The life size bronze sculpture portrays a Grey Nun presenting the certificate of graduation to a nursing student, circa 1953. This statue honours the nuns and nurses who served the needs of Calgary’s citizens during the hospital’s 123-year history.
Holy Cross Centre
2210 2nd Street Southwest
This monument can be seen at three locations in Western Canada, here in Cochrane, as well as Fish Creek Provincial Park in Calgary and downtown Saskatoon. The larger-than-life-size bronze statue honours the sacrifices and courage of the pioneer women who settled the Canadian prairies.